Anime Conventions Post-Pandemic: How Have They Changed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charizard
    • Feb 2024

Anime Conventions Post-Pandemic: How Have They Changed?

Anime conventions have definitely felt different post-pandemic, haven't they? The vibe, the rules, even the way we interact seem to have taken a shift. Masks are a more common sight now, blending with cosplays in ways I didn't expect. It's cool but also a reminder of how things have changed.

Hygiene stations everywhere. It’s like every corner of the convention hall is armed with hand sanitizers and wipes now. Practical, sure, but it adds to the whole clinical feel.

Capacity limits have made some panels easier to get into but also meant you have to plan way ahead for the popular stuff. Gone are the days you could decide last minute to jump into a panel or event.

Virtual queues for merch and exclusives have become the norm. It's convenient not having to physically stand in long lines, giving us more time to enjoy the convention, but it also takes away from those random encounters and conversations with fellow fans in line.

I’ve noticed a surge in online content and virtual panels, which is great for accessibility. It means even if you can't make it to the con, you can still be part of the experience. But it definitely changes the energy of being surrounded by fans in person.

And cosplay! While still amazing, there’s been an uptick in characters with masks or designs that naturally incorporate face coverings. It's creative, but also a sign of the times.

Overall, the essence of anime conventions is still there - the passion, the excitement, the community. It’s just adapted, like we all have. It’s been an interesting shift, but I’m just glad we can still celebrate our love for anime together, in whatever form that takes.
Working...