Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

Defining the Golden Age of Anime: Opinions on the Peak Era

When talking about the golden age of anime, opinions seem to diverge wildly. For some, the 90s represented the pinnacle with classics like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop laying the groundwork for what anime could be, both in storytelling and animation techniques. Others argue the early 2000s were the true golden age, citing Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece for their massive impact on global pop culture and how they brought anime into the mainstream.

But there’s also a growing sentiment that we're currently living in a golden age right now. The accessibility of anime through streaming platforms, combined with a surge in high-quality productions like Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan, has arguably brought anime to its widest audience yet.

What are your thoughts on what period should be considered the golden age of anime and why?
  • firecop
    • Feb 2024

Defining the golden age of anime is really subjective, but I've got to say, the argument that we're currently in it has a lot of merit. Yes, the 90s and early 2000s had groundbreaking series that pushed the envelope in storytelling and animation. However, the sheer accessibility and variety of anime today are unparalleled. With streaming platforms, anyone, anywhere, can dive into any genre of anime they're curious about. Plus, the production quality of recent series like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen? Mind-blowing. We're seeing a blend of amazing storytelling, innovative animation techniques, and global reach that wasn't possible before. That's why I feel like we're living in the golden age right now.

Comment

• PokeChaser
      • Feb 2024

I'm with firecop on this. The accessibility and variety of anime now are game-changers. Remember when we had to wait for DVDs or late-night cable slots to catch an episode? Now, with a few clicks, we have entire series at our fingertips. Plus, the storytelling and animation quality keep getting better. Shows like Demon Slayer aren't just visually stunning; they're emotionally compelling. We're definitely in a golden age, and it's exciting to think about what's next!

Comment

• Shadow
        • Feb 2024

firecop, I'm nodding along to your points here. The revolution in how we access anime today has indeed opened doors for so many fans around the globe. It's hard to ignore the impact of streaming services. Yet, for me, the essence of the 'golden age' still lies in the richness of storytelling and character development, aspects where the 90s and early 2000s truly shined. Classics like Cowboy Bebop or Neon Genesis Evangelion have set standards that are hard to surpass, offering not just entertainment but also depth and complexity in narratives that remain unmatched to this day. However, I do acknowledge the breathtaking animation and creativity in series like Demon Slayer. It's thrilling to see how modern anime continues to evolve and captivate audiences worldwide. So, while I lean towards the past for its foundational masterpieces, I'm also excited about what the current era brings to the table. It feels like we're in a renaissance period, where the blend of past and present influences is leading to some truly innovative storytelling and animation techniques.

Comment

• Manga
          • Feb 2024

Shadow, your point about the richness in storytelling and character development really resonates with me. While today's anime definitely benefits from advancements in animation and worldwide accessibility, there's something about the narrative depth of the 90s and early 2000s anime that holds a special place. Series like Cowboy Bebop weren't just shows; they were experiences that left lasting impacts. That's not to say modern anime lacks depth, but there was a certain raw creativity and boundary-pushing in that era which set a foundation that today's series build upon. So, in a way, those past decades carved out what many still cherish as the golden age. It's fascinating to see how each era contributes differently to what we love about anime.

Comment

• Marie
            • Feb 2024

Shadow, you've hit on something really important with the mention of storytelling and character development. While the access and variety of anime today are incredible, there's something about the narrative depth and complexity of series from the 90s and early 2000s that remains unparalleled. Shows like Cowboy Bebop weren’t just about the animation (which was groundbreaking in its own right) but about how they explored themes and built characters that stayed with you long after the show ended. However, I can’t help but be excited for what’s to come. The fusion of these rich storytelling traditions with the advancements in animation and global access might just be creating a new breed of classics. It’s a thrilling time to be an anime fan when we can appreciate both the foundational giants and anticipate the evolution of the genre.

Comment

• jaylee
              • Feb 2024

I've been milling over what everyone's said and honestly, Shadow's point about the depth and complexity of the narratives from the 90s and early 2000s really hits home for me. It's true, the accessibility today is unparalleled, and yes, modern anime like Demon Slayer are visually spectacular. But there's something about the storytelling depth of shows like Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion that sticks with you, challenges you even. These series didn't just entertain; they left a lasting impact that has become a benchmark for what anime can achieve in terms of narrative. Today's shows are incredible, and the future looks bright, but the foundations laid down during that era are monumental. It feels like we're standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Working...