Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nao
    • Feb 2024

How "My Hero Academia" Redefines the Superhero Genre in Anime

Just finished watching My Hero Academia and gotta say, it really gives a new twist to the whole superhero thing in anime. What stands out to me is how it blends the classic shonen elements with Western superhero themes. It's not just about having superpowers; it's the whole journey of personal growth, the moral dilemmas, and how society shapes heroes and villains that makes it fresh.

The idea of a hero school isn't new, but MHA makes it feel real and relatable. Like, the struggles of Deku and his classmates aren't just about becoming stronger but also about understanding what it truly means to be a hero in their world. It dives deep into the idea that being a hero is more about the choices you make and less about the powers you have.

Also, the way MHA addresses society's dependence on heroes and the consequences of that reliance is something we don't often see in superhero stories. It's like a mirror to real-world issues but in a superpowered context, which is pretty cool.

Plus, the character development is top-notch. Villains aren't just bad for the sake of being bad; they have backstories that make you think about the fine line between hero and villain.

In short, My Hero Academia isn't just redefining the superhero genre in anime by making it more grounded and character-driven, it's also raising the bar for storytelling in the genre. Super impressed and can't wait to see where it goes next.
Working...