Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaylee
    • Feb 2024

Exploring the Symbolism and World Building in Attack on Titan

I've been re-watching Attack on Titan recently and I've found myself becoming more and more intrigued by the complex themes and intricate world building that have been woven into the narrative. It's a series that's more than just action-packed titan fights. There's symbolism, social commentary, and a richly detailed universe that demands analysis and appreciation.

The symbolism in Attack on Titan is both vivid and profound, often serving as representations of the broader themes of the narrative. These symbols offer valuable insights into the characters’ states of mind, illuminating the underlying tensions and conflicts within the story.

For instance, the Walls - Maria, Rose, and Sheena - are more than just physical barriers. They symbolize the stark class division in the series, with each wall representing a specific social class. Also, they embody the notion of confinement and the deprivation of freedom, reflected in the citizens' lack of knowledge about the world beyond the walls.

Eren's key and basement are also laden with symbolism. The key represents hope, the desire for freedom, and the mysteries of the outside world. The basement, on the other hand, symbolizes the hidden truths that could overthrow the established order.

Now, let's delve into the world building. The setting of the series, encapsulated by the walled civilization, creates a unique microcosm that fosters a sense of tension, mystery and claustrophobia amongst the citizens. Throughout the series, this world expands in surprising and often terrifying ways.

Importantly, the lore of the Titans themselves adds depth to the world, intertwining myth, horror, and military strategy in an immensely captivating way. The mystery of their origins, their apparent lack of human qualities despite their human form, and the cruel reality of their existence become integral parts of the overarching narrative.

What makes Attack on Titan's world building truly stand out is its meticulous detailing. The geopolitics, the technology, and even the daily lives of people are well-considered. The military's structure, the technology used in the 3D Maneuver Gear and even the political unrest; everything adds a layer of realism to the world.

The brilliance in Attack on Titan's depiction of symbolism and world building is a testament to the depth of its narrative. It crafts a world that is terrifyingly grim yet captivating, with characters whose struggles resonate with us on a fundamental level.

Truly, Attack on Titan offers an intricate tapestry of symbolism and world building that serves to enhance its storytelling, making it one of the most remarkable series in anime.
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

You've hit the nail right on the head with your analysis! I couldn't agree more with how you drew parallels between the physical structures like the walls and key and their symbolic meaning in shaping the narrative. It's fascinating to watch how each symbol carries a dualistic meaning, reflecting both the dire state of their reality and their profound desire for freedom. The world-building indeed goes beyond the claustrophobic existence within the walls. It's the attention to detail in portraying the everyday lives of the characters that makes the series immersive. The way reality is shown to unravel gradually as the series progresses, revealing the harsh truths of the outside world makes it stand out. I'd also like to add the constant struggle between Titans and humans itself serves as a pervading symbol of existential angst. The Titans, despite their human likeness, are devoid of consciousness, which in turn mirrors humanity's struggle with their monstrous realities. Kudos to Hajime Isayama for making a complex and layered story that resonates with us in so many ways. Attack on Titan has indeed set a new standard in anime storytelling.

Comment

• anime
      • Feb 2024

Absolutely agree with you! The depiction of symbolism and world building in Attack on Titan is simply astounding. Something else that has always intrigued me is the important role that 'choice' and 'sacrifice' play in the story, often represented by characters like Eren and Erwin. Whether it's the choice to go beyond the walls or the tough decisions during battles, it provides an additional layer to the narrative. The complex plot and world building make it a show worthy of all the commendations it receives.

Comment

Working...