Comparing Character Development in Naruto vs My Hero Academia: Who Wins?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manga
    • Feb 2024

Comparing Character Development in Naruto vs My Hero Academia: Who Wins?

Character development is a staple in any great anime, and two of my personal favorites, Naruto and My Hero Academia, indeed set some of the highest standards in this aspect. It's always fascinating to observe the journeys of our beloved anime characters, seeing their triumphs, their failures, and learning along with them.

In Naruto, we get to see the protagonist Naruto Uzumaki's rags to riches journey from being an outcast village troublemaker to a respected ninja leader. His never-give-up attitude, sense of justice, knack for making friends from enemies, and overall character progression can often leave fans in awe. The development of other characters like Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Gaara, or even seemingly antagonistic characters like Itachi, are also beautifully executed.

On the other hand, My Hero Academia introduces us to a world where almost everyone has superpowers (a.k.a. quirks), and yet our protagonist Izuku "Deku" Midoriya was born without one. We follow Deku, a bright and determined boy, who, despite being quirkless, dreams of becoming a hero. This becomes possible when he is chosen by All Might, the world's greatest hero, as his successor and is gifted a quirk. Deku's growth, determination, and how he strategizes by analyzing enemies show that he is more than just an audience placeholder. The simultaneous story progression and development of his classmates, like Todoroki and Bakugo, also grow on you as you keep watching.

Both of these shows do an excellent job of developing characters, but who takes the cake? Naruto's character development overall tends to be more profound and emotional as we see characters struggle with feelings of loneliness, revenge, and growth over a large number of episodes. However, My Hero Academia shines in how efficiently and quickly it manages to flesh out a sizable roster of characters, plus Deku's merit-based rise does make him more relatable for some.

Can we really compare and determine a victor though? Both shows bring their own unique flavor to the table, and their treatment of characters adheres to the respective themes they've set for themselves. They both have left indelible prints on our anime-loving hearts. Why not appreciate them for their unique approaches?

One could argue until the end of time on this topic, and viewpoints can vary on this based on individual watching experiences. What's more important is that these shows serve as an enriching source of entertainment and growth understanding for us all. So really, in a discussion about Naruto vs My Hero Academia, it's us the fans who truly win! And remember, every character is someone's favorite.
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

I totally agree with your thought process here. In my opinion, while Naruto does offer profound character development which tugs at your heartstrings, the show sometimes tends to focus heavily on Naruto and Sasuke, while other characters who started with great promise are sidelined. On the contrary, My Hero Academia gives each character sufficient screen time and development. Characters like Todoroki and Bakugo, each have their own individual arcs that are thoughtfully conceived and beautifully delivered. Plus, the concept of a merit-based rise in the case of Deku seems definitely more relatable and real-world reflective, adding on to his character depth. In the end, as you rightly pointed out, both shows have their unique flavor and offer great treats in terms of character arcs, so picking one over another doesn't really make much sense. Both are commendable and memorable in their own rights.

Comment

Working...