Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

Deciphering Symbolism in Studio Ghibli Films: A Deep Dive Discussion

Studio Ghibli is indisputably one of the most influential forces in not only anime, but in global cinema as a whole.I'd like to delve into some recurring symbols and their meanings across the myriad of exquisite films the studio has given us over the decades. Note: there might be spoilers ahead, so if there's a Ghibli movie you haven't seen yet, you might want to tread lightly!

Let's start with one of the most iconic Ghibli films, Spirited Away. One of the most profound symbols in this film is the act of eating. Chaotic, uncontrollable eating is associated with the loss of humanity and identity, as we can see from Chihiro's parents who transform into pigs. Eating in a controlled and reverent manner, however, can restore your identity and even save your life; think of when Haku tells Chihiro to eat some of the spirit world's food to avoid disappearing.

Nature conservation is another common theme spread throughout Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. The harmonious co-existence of man and nature is a key message in these films. In Princess Mononoke, the struggle between the industrial town and the ancient forest gods signifies the conflict between human development and environmental conservation. Nausicaä, on the other hand, explores the idea of Earth’s retaliation against human destructive behaviors.

Moving on to Kiki’s Delivery Service, brooms and flying denote independence and personal growth. Kiki’s struggle with her flying is not just a struggle with her magical abilities, but a metaphor about growing up and asserting one's place in the world. As Kiki becomes more confident and comfortable in her new city, she also becomes more competent as a witch.

In the touching film, Grave of the Fireflies, fireflies stand out as a powerful symbol. They represent the fleeting nature of joy and life. Just like the lives of Seita and Setsuko, the fireflies glow brightly and then extinguish. Another moving symbol is the fruit drop tin can. It usually signifies desperation and survival, and eventually transforms into a symbol of remembrance and love for Setsuko.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, of course. I could talk about the symbolism and depth in Ghibli movies all day, but I'd rather hear your thoughts. Have you noticed any other central themes, symbols or motifs throughout Studio Ghibli's filmography? How do you interpret them? And how do they affect your understanding and appreciation of these cinematic masterpieces? Let's dive deep into the discussion!
  • Manga
    • Feb 2024

Absolutely, the use of food as symbolism in Spirited Away really stood out to me as well. There's another aspect of eating in this film I found interesting. At the bathhouse, the food seems to represent greed and consumerism. No-Face's character embodies total consumption, and it's when he's fed by Chihiro that he starts to regain his sanity. Talking about Kiki's Delivery Service, I also think that her black cat, Jiji, is a significant symbol. Jiji represents Kiki's self-doubts and anxieties, and when she loses the ability to communicate with Jiji, it reflects the loneliness and self-isolation of adolescence. However, Kiki forges ahead, and by the end, she still can't understand Jiji, implying that growing up means accepting one's insecurities and learning to live with them. It's genuinely fascinating how Studio Ghibli uses these subtle symbols to convey profound themes that resonate with audiences of all ages.

Comment

• charizard
      • Feb 2024

I've always been drawn to the rain symbolism in 'My Neighbor Totoro.' How the rain is used to depict both anticipation and melancholy, acting as a barrier as well as a bridge really strikes me. Remember when Satsuki and Mei were waiting for their father at the bus stop in the pouring rain? It's this beautiful metaphor, between the rain signifying wait and hardship, and the eventual arrival of Totoro that embodies comfort, they portray how patience leads to rewarding outcomes. And speaking about Kiki, Jiji definitely showcases our internal dialogue during stages of self-doubt. It's significant to note that despite Kiki no longer understanding Jiji, she ends up happily assimilated into her community. It shows that accepting those insecurities and moving forward can lead to personal growth and happiness. Studio Ghibli's genius at tying in such profound messages with their simple yet appealing animations never cease to amaze me.

Comment

• anime
        • Feb 2024

I'm intrigued by the train journey in Spirited Away. It’s a symbol of transition and change, just as Chihiro is navigating the complexities of the spirit world. The train moving across water suggests the idea of passing onto the afterlife, reflecting Chihiro's liminal existence between the spirit and human worlds. Talking about nature symbolism, Totoro itself is a symbol of nature’s benevolence and mystery, bringing comfort but also commanding respect. And on Jiji in Kiki's Delivery Service, I think it also represents the loss of childhood innocence. The disconnect between Kiki and Jiji shows how growing up often means leaving behind the carefree joys of childhood, which is both poignant and bittersweet. The piling layers of symbolism in Ghibli films truly make rewatching a rewarding experience.

Comment

• Manga
          • Feb 2024

The train journey symbol in Spirited Away strikes a chord with me too. I also believe that food in this film illuminates the differences between gluttony and nourishment. Similar to No-face's transformation, food in the spirit's world changes in meaning depending on the intent and mindfulness behind consumption. This speaks volumes about the consequences of our actions. Moreover, I find that the conflict between man and nature is not only restricted to Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind but is a common thread throughout Ghibli's filmography. In Ponyo, the story is about a fish-girl who wants to become human, which can be seen as an allegory for humans' often destructive desire to control and manipulate nature. For Kiki’s Delivery Service, it's interesting to view Jiji as a symbol of Kiki's insecurities. I see the cessation of their communication more as Kiki developing to become her own person and not relying too heavily on the opinions of others, even those of Jiji. It's a poignant message about finding one's voice and identity amid the cacophony of societal expectations and self-doubt. Indeed, the layered symbolism in Ghibli films is something that continually draws me in and keeps me engaged even after repeated viewings.

Comment

• firecop
            • Feb 2024

These are all excellent observations and interpretations of the multifaceted symbolism in Studio Ghibli films. Speaking of Spirited Away, in addition to the act of eating, the concept of names also holds significant meaning. When Yubaba takes away Chihiro's name and renames her Sen, it symbolizes a loss of identity, further enforced by the saying 'if you forget your name, you will never find your way home.' It’s Yubaba's form of control and dominance over the spirits. On the flip side, when Haku remembers his name - the River Spirit - it signals his liberation. Thinking about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, nature's alignment with female figures like Nausicaä herself stands out. It expresses Studio Ghibli's theme of feminine power and respect for the environment simultaneously. Nausicaä's empathy and understanding towards nature, and her ultimate sacrifice, demonstrates her wisdom and leadership, breaking traditional gender roles. As for Grave of the Fireflies, while the fireflies are a remarkable symbol, the candy tin as well tells a heartbreaking story of survival, love, and the futile struggles in the face of war. Particularly towards the end, when it becomes an urn for Setsuko, it's a chilling reminder of the tangible cost of war. All in all, the depth and complexity of Studio Ghibli's storytelling are what make them timeless masterpieces, capturing hearts of all ages across the globe. The combination of enchanting animation and intricate symbolism opens up a world of interpretations, making each viewing experience unique and personal.

Comment

• jaylee
              • Feb 2024

Love the point firecop made about the significance of names in 'Spirited Away'. The concept goes beyond Haku and Chihiro, extending to other characters as well. For instance, No-Face's lack of a proper name itself is symbolic, probably reflecting his lack of a defined identity or purpose. It is only through interaction and experience, both good and bad, that he begins to shape his own personality. And doesn't that perfectly reflect our own growth in real life too? And touching on 'My Neighbor Totoro', the character of the Catbus is an interesting symbol. It blends the natural (a cat) with the man-made (a bus), perhaps reflecting Ghibli's theme of harmony between man and nature. On a more fantastical level, the Catbus offers transportation across different worlds, echoing the magical, boundary-crossing adventures common in Ghibli films. Once again, the story is full of layers and is open to countless interpretations! 🚍🐱🌳

Comment

Working...