Unpacking the Philosophy in Neon Genesis Evangelion: An Existential Perspective

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manga
    • Feb 2024

Unpacking the Philosophy in Neon Genesis Evangelion: An Existential Perspective

Neon Genesis Evangelion is undeniably one of those iconic series that leaves its audience in a reflective state. It's not merely about giant mecha battles or the survival of humanity, but delves deep into the psyche of its characters. Most notably, the show carries profound, typically challenging philosophical underpinnings. Let's focus specifically on its existential themes today.

At its core, Evangelion deals extensively with existential crisis. Shinji Ikari, the series' protagonist, is faced with issues of self-worth, identity, isolation, and choice. He is constantly wrestling with his own existence, questioning if he's vital because of his role as an Eva pilot, or if he can be valuable as 'Shinji,' independent of his utilitarian purpose.

These ruminations on identity and value are central to existentialism philosophy. Jean-Paul Sartre, a noted existentialist philosopher, suggested that "existence precedes essence," and Evangelion really encapsulates this. Shinji's essence - his purpose and identity - are undetermined. They can only be decided based on his own choices and actions; not by his preordained role as a pilot.

Another related theme in Evangelion is the notion of personal freedom and the resultant despair it leads to. Despite the human desire for freedom, once attained, it often leads to despair due to an unguided, meaningless universe. We see this manifest in Shinji. The same manner in which his father disappears, leaving him with the freedom to decide on his own, he finds himself in despair. It reflects Sartre's notion of 'bad faith', the human tendency to evade responsibility and blame uncontrollable circumstances for our issue.

Finally, it's worth noting the concept of the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma,' recurrent in the series. If humans get too close, they hurt each other (like hedgehogs trying to share warmth), yet distance yields loneliness. This dilemma revolves around existential isolation literature. Characters like Shinji, Asuka, and Misato exhibit these issues, making them multi-dimensional and real.

In conclusion, Evangelion does a spectacular job weaving complex existential themes into its narrative, making it a classic worth rewatching and analyzing. Its exploration of the human condition speaks volumes about our fears, our desires, and our relentless pursuit of meaning. It's a testament to the fact that anime can be far more than the sum of its parts, drawing on philosophies that question our existence at its core. It proves that animation, just like any other medium, can be instrumental in prompting profound debate on critical existential questions.

What are your thoughts on this perspective? Do you think Evangelion has other different philosophical undertones that we haven't covered here? Let's keep the discussion going!
  • jaylee
    • Feb 2024

I think you nailed it with how Evangelion drives home these existential concepts. I was always intrigued by how the series used biblical symbolisms, especially open to various interpretations, whether religious or existential. I've wondered about the perspective of nihilism mixed in there too. Shinji's struggle with meaninglessness in a world full of catastrophic events always struck me as a nod to this philosophy. Any thoughts on this? 🤔

Comment

• Shadow
      • Feb 2024

Absolutely on point with how you've taken apart Evangelion's major existential themes! jaylee, the nihilistic perspective came up for me too. With all the chaos and destruction, Shinji's internal struggle does hint at it. However, it's also intriguing how the series swings between existentialism and nihilism - Shinji's eventual realization of his own worth and making a choice, it's so layered and open for interpretation. As for biblical symbolism, it indeed adds another dimension of philosophical depth. This show will just never stop amazing me! 😉

Comment

• charizard
        • Feb 2024

I must say, you've hit the nail on the head with Evangelion's existential themes. Shinji's struggle with his self-identity invokes a lot of deep thoughts. Also, the idea of the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma' is brilliantly portrayed in the series. It's definitely added another layer to the characters and made the anime feel much more real. Regarding the addition of biblical symbolism, I agree with jaylee and Shadow. I see it as another philosophical angle. The intriguing mix of existentialism and nihilism makes the show very layered!💭👌 You're right, this anime never ceases to amaze. It keeps you coming back to delve deeper. What a classic!

Comment

• firecop
          • Feb 2024

It's fascinating indeed to see the struggles of Shinji against nihilism and to claim his existence in such a way that combats it 😮. The series really did a good job of playing in this sandbox of complex themes. About the biblical symbolism, it indeed serves as another facet, another layer to the profound narrative of Evangelion. Evangelion is really that gem of a series that makes you dwell on such philosophical ideas. A real testament to the power of anime 🤯.

Comment

Working...