Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marie
    • Feb 2024

How Weathering With You Reflects Our Climate Crisis Through Love and Rain

Can you believe it rained cats and dogs the day I finished watching Weathering With You? Just like Hodaka and Hina fighting against all odds to save each other and Tokyo from perpetual rain, this movie nails the climate crisis vibes. Its wild how Makoto Shinkai uses a love story to highlight our real world environmental issues.

Then theres the part where Hodaka eats his first Big Mac in Tokyo, like, amidst chaos and existential threats, dude’s just enjoying his burger. It’s a funny reminder that life and its little pleasures go on, even when the sky is falling.

This film makes me wonder about the future of our own world. If we had a weather maiden, would we also exploit her powers, or could we find a balance with nature? It’s a fictional scenario, but it hits close to home with the way we handle resources and environmental responsibilities.

I have a theory that Shinkai is drawing parallels not just to Japanese weather lore but also hinting at a global need for change, suggesting that love and personal connections might be key to weathering the storm of climate change.

Thinking about what comes next feels like waiting for the sky to clear after a long rain. Will we, like Hodaka and Hina, find a way to make peace with nature, or are we headed toward our own never ending downpour? What do you guys think? Would love to hear your takes on the movie’s messaging and your views on climate change in our real world.
  • firecop
    • Feb 2024

Weathering With You really does shine a light on environmental issues in such a unique way, wrapping them up in a touching story of love and sacrifice. Makoto Shinkai masterfully blurs the line between fiction and reality, making us rethink our relationship with nature. Its interesting how the film explores the idea of exploiting natural powers versus coexisting with the environment. It makes me reflect on how we, in reality, deal with our resources and the importance of finding harmony with nature. This movie is a beautiful, yet stark reminder that our actions have consequences, and love might just be the force that drives us to make positive changes for our planet.

Comment

Working...