Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

Underrated Anime Gems of the Early 2020s: Hidden Treasures to Catch Up on

Anime, that uniquely Japanese form of art, has a wide variety of genres and storylines, some of which are not given their due recognition. The early half of the 2020s was no exception in terms of quality productions, and in this post, I'll be highlighting some underrated gems from this period, which definitely deserve more of your attention and love.

First is 'Girls Last Tour', an anime that somehow manages to effectively fuse the genres of post-apocalyptic and slice-of-life. Chi and Yuu, the main characters, explore a war-devastated world on their Kettenkrad motorbike. The environment is stark and inhospitable, but the show excels in showcasing the girls' indomitable spirit and their search for life's simple pleasures amidst the ruin.

Another anime that has unfortunately flown under the radar is 'Radiant'. If you're a lover of magic and adventure, this is a must-watch. Based on the French manfra by Tony Valente, the series follows Seth, a novice wizard who embarks on a quest to discover 'Radiant', a mythical land inhabited by ferocious monsters known as 'Nemesis'. The animation is stunning and the plot compelling, blending humor, heart, and heroism in equal measure.

'Ascendance of a Bookworm' comes next. It's an adorable and heartwarming series about a book-loving girl who reincarnates in another world where books are barely known and incredibly rare. The main character's struggle to create and spread the concept of books is genuinely delightful to watch. This series uses the Isekai trope in a unique and refreshing way.

Last on my list, but certainly not least, 'Golden Kamuy'. It's an unusual blend of historical fiction and adventure, filled with priceless moments of character interaction, life in Hokkaido, Ainu culture, and treasure hunting. This show is genuinely a treasure in itself, and its well-crafted narrative and interesting characters will undoubtedly keep you invested in the story.

All these anime are stellar in their own right but haven't received as much fanfare as they should have. Each one has a unique storyline and features exceptional world-building and character development, coupled with impressive art and animation. If you're an anime fan who's always on the lookout for fresh content, these hidden gems of the early 2020s are simply begging to be explored.

Remember, the beauty of anime is that there's always something for everyone, and these underrated marvels, too, have their own distinct charm and appeal. So, why not give them a shot? You might just stumble upon your new favorite. Enjoy!
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

Ah, you've got some solid picks there! I've watched 'Golden Kamuy' and it's a rollercoaster for sure. That mix of history, culture, and the sheer human will is fantastic. 'Girls Last Tour' is high on my watchlist, it really seems to master that sad but hopeful tone, plus who doesn't love a post-apocalyptic combo with slice-of-life. Got to add 'Radiant' and 'Ascendance of a Bookworm' to my list too! Always excited to explore more under-the-radar titles. These showcases really underscore the diversity and potential in anime storytelling.

Comment

• charizard
      • Feb 2024

I've watched all four! Couldn't agree more with your choices, each one has a unique touch. 'Girls Last Tour' is such a unique blend of post-apocalyptic and slice-of-life, it wigged me out initially, but then I found myself really enjoying its bleak yet oddly comforting narrative. The subtlety of humor was top-notch. 'Radiant' indeed got lost in the crowd of shonen. It has a lot to offer in terms of both plot and characters, its distinct Franco-Japanese style, and commentary on discrimination. 'Ascendance of a Bookworm' is a refreshing take on the Isekai genre, and the main character's determination is inspiring. I ended up binging the entire thing in a weekend! Finally, 'Golden Kamuy'. Honestly, it's indeed a treasure, a perfect balance of serious and silly sequences. The effort they put in depicting Ainu culture is commendable. Definitely going to re-watch them all again, thanks for inspiring me!

Comment

Working...