Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

Analyzing the Evolution of Shonen Tropes Over the Decades

Shonen, a genre of manga and anime expressly designed for boys, has undergone a noticeable evolution in terms of its tropes and character arcs over the decades. Let's delve a bit deeper into how these patterns have developed and changed over time.

In the early days of Shonen, particularly in the 80s and 90s, there were very distinct patterns to the storytelling. The most common being the 'underdog rising' trope. From Dragon Ball's Goku starting as a naive martial artist to Naruto Uzumaki's journey from a village pariah to the Hokage, the theme of the underdog rising to greatness is one that has persisted since the inception of the genre.

However, with the turn of the millennium, we started seeing a shift. Many shonen started deviating from, or at least putting different spins on, the classic underdog story. One Piece's Luffy was consistently portrayed as competent and driven right off the bat. His journey isn't necessarily about growing stronger, but exploring the world and achieving his dream.

Furthermore, the concept of moral ambiguity started surfacing prominently around these years. Anime like Attack on Titan and Death Note introduced protagonists that were far from the classic, virtuous hero mold. They were characters with their own peculiar sense of justice and were willing to get their hands dirty to achieve their ends.

We began noticing decidedly more complex characterization and more mature themes added to the mix. The central conflicts started becoming less about physical battles and more about ideological clashes, showcased perfectly in series like Fullmetal Alchemist and Tokyo Ghoul. There was less focus on the protagonist's physical journey and more on their internal dilemmas and personal growth.

Another point of evolution is the gradual inclusion of stronger female characters. Historically, Shonen anime was criticized for its depiction of women in exaggeratedly subservient or passive roles. Recent years have witnessed a change with female characters assuming more active and substantive roles, like My Hero Academia's Ochaco Uraraka or Demon Slayer's Nezuko Kamado.

Lastly, the trope of friendship has always been a cornerstone in Shonen narratives. However, there's been substantial development from the simplistic "friends forever" notion seen in early Pokemon or Digimon series. We now see a more comprehensive exploration of friendship, including its challenges, intricacies, and darker aspects, as seen in Hunter X Hunter.

While Shonen continues to evolve and cater to increasingly diverse audiences, its heart remains the same. It provides stories of characters overcoming enormous odds and reminds us of the true spirit of resilience and perseverance. It seems safe to say no matter how its tropes change, Shonen will continue to inspire and entertain for generations to come.
  • charizard
    • Feb 2024

That's a thorough analysis, I agree with the shift from physical conflict to ideological ones, Fullmetal Alchemist was a game changer in that department, mixing magic, politics, and philosophy. I also think there has been a significant growth in shonen shows that explore the consequences of the hero's actions. Like in My Hero Academia, where we see the impact that All Might's retirement has on society and on the other heroes. It's a realism that I've come to appreciate in modern shonen anime. Regarding female characters, there's still a long way to go, but it's reassuring to see characters like Ochaco and Nezuko making their mark. Here's hoping the future of Shonen brings even more strong and complex female characters!+

Comment

• Manga
      • Feb 2024

I've noticed the evolution in Shonen storytelling as well - the shift from solely physical conflicts to ones fraught with personal dilemmas and ideological clashes really adds a depth to the narrative. Characters like Light Yagami from Death Note, for instance, deviate from the conventional hero image, offering a unique complexity. It's also been interesting watching female protagonists gain more significance in the plot. Still, I definitely agree there's a lot more progress to be made in that aspect. As for the theme of friendship, Hunter X Hunter is a great example of the complexities and setbacks friendship often encounters. Overall, the evolution of Shonen keeps bringing refreshing changes to the table!

Comment

• anime
        • Feb 2024

Indeed, the evolution of Shonen tropes has been fascinating to observe. Character arcs have grown more complex and the stories have undoubtedly matured. Take characters like Lelouch from Code Geass or Eren Yeager from Attack on Titan. Their motivations and character developments are more nuanced than what we've seen in earlier Shonen! This depth has transformed the viewing experience completely. I also agree on the more robust representation of women in recent Shonen, though we definitely still have room to improve. The difference between, say, Sakura Haruno from Naruto and Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan is immense. Mikasa breaks the stereotype of a helpless female character, setting a strong precedent for future Shonen anime. Moreover, it's refreshing to see that friendship now transcends beyond the basic "forever friends" narrative. From unraveling the complexities of camaraderie in Hunter X Hunter to exploring the dynamics of friendship in current shows like Jujutsu Kaisen, we're getting to see more realistic perspectives. Shonen anime has certainly evolved but at its core, it remains a tale of resilience and overcoming obstacles. It would be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Comment

Working...