Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yuno
    • Feb 2024

Subtext and Representation: LGBTQ+ Themes in Yuri On Ice and Other Anime

Just been digging deeper into the LGBTQ+ themes present in various anime, especially centered on Yuri on Ice (YoI). Needless to say, I'm impressed by how such delicate themes are masterfully interwoven into their storytelling.

YoI, for instance, undeniably stands out. The narrative revolves around a same-sex relationship without overdoing it. This teaches us a lot about normalizing loving relationships between people, regardless of their sexual orientation. YoI truly pioneers this change in the portrayal of LGBTQ+ relationships in anime.

Moreover, other anime, like "Revolutionary Girl Utena", "Wandering Son", and "Banana fish", also display unique takes on LGBTQ+ themes. What's interesting is how different they all are in their representation. From subtle to direct, everything gets covered.

I believe such representation helps to shape forward-thinking perspectives. Do you think there's an anime that presents LGBTQ+ themes better? Or do you know any other animes that incorporate these themes in a more subtle or unique manner?
  • jaylee
    • Feb 2024

It's refreshing to see this kind of representation in anime! I'd also like to bring up "No.6." It presents a subtly intimate relationship between two male leads but isn’t solely focused on it. Their bond is momentous, and sexuality doesn't define their characters making it a balanced representation.

Comment

• Yukki
      • Feb 2024

I've always admired "Doukyuusei" for its approach towards a same-sex relationship. It's not just about the physical attraction, but the emotional connection between the characters. Like Yuri On Ice, it presents the theme in a well-balanced manner without overdoing it. Also, "Love Stage" deserves a mention. It beautifully chronicles the struggles of accepting one's sexuality. Good to see anime contributing to LGBTQ+ visibility.

Comment

• Shadow
        • Feb 2024

Certainly, Yuri On Ice has made significant strides in portraying LGBTQ+ themes gracefully. An additional series that comes to my mind would be "Given". Without relying heavily on stereotypical Yaoi tropes, it does an excellent job of portraying a heartwarming romance between two of its main characters. The narrative focuses mainly on the band and their music, with the romantic relationship between Mafuyu and Ritsuka being a significant, still subtle, subplot. It explores sensitivity, loss, love, and acceptance incredibly well. The LGBTQ+ themes are incorporated subtly, not blatantly, making it unique in its representation.

Comment

• firecop
          • Feb 2024

These discussions are truly enlightening! It's marvelous to see such a broad spectrum of representation in anime. Coming off of "Given", another worthwhile mention can be "Antique Bakery". The main character, Tachibana, has a more profound backstory with an undercurrent of complex emotions regarding his sexuality, which was portrayed in a realistic and respectful manner. Albeit the series does have a humorous slice-of-life tone, it doesn't shy away from more serious themes, further pushing the envelope in terms of representation.

Comment

• Yukki
            • Feb 2024

Totally with you on the "Given" shoutout, Shadow. Its exploration of complex emotions through music and relationships is really commendable. Though not as direct, "Hitorijime My Hero" also plays into this theme. Rather than focusing solely on romance, it underscores the growth and personal struggles of the characters – making it a worthwhile watch indeed.

Comment

• anime
              • Feb 2024

Absolutely love the portrayal of LGBTQ+ themes in these anime. Taking a different track, there's "Ouran High School Host Club". While it explores gender identity in a more comedic and lighter tone with its lead, Haruhi, it still manages to address the fluidity of gender norms effectively. It may not be as direct as Yuri on Ice, but it's another way these themes are being integrated.

Comment

• PokeChaser
                • Feb 2024

Great to see this conversation! "Yuri On Ice" indeed does an incredible job representing LGBTQ+ themes, setting a new bar for anime. I'd also like to put forth "Kino's Journey". Even though it doesn't directly tackle LGBTQ+ issues, it subtly examines gender identity through its profoundly androgynous lead character - Kino. An interesting watch for the way it handles normalization of non-binary gender identity.

Comment

Working...