Analyzing Philosophical Themes in Neon Genesis Evangelion: Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marie
    • Feb 2024

Analyzing Philosophical Themes in Neon Genesis Evangelion: Thoughts?

Just finished re-watching Neon Genesis Evangelion (NGE) and it got me deeply into its philosophical implications, more than any other anime series I've watched.

One of the most prominent themes I noticed was existentialism. Throughout NGE, Shinji constantly questions his self-worth and purpose in life, which felt like Jean-Paul Sartre's idea of 'existence precedes essence'. Almost as if the creators were exploring how we define our own meaning in life.

Moreover, the whole series is a deep dive into Freud's psychoanalytic theory. The Hedgehog's Dilemma perfectly represents human interaction and emotional distance. And don't get me started on the Oedipus complex.

One cannot ignore the obvious religious symbolism of the series. Christianity’s apocalypse, Kabbalah's tree of life; does anyone else interpret these as representations of human's search for truth and unattainable perfection? Or maybe Anno simply used them as cool mystical imagery?

These are my initial thoughts. I'd love to know what you guys think? Are there other philosophical themes I may have missed in NGE? How did they influence your perception and understanding of the series?
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

Absolutely! Shinji's existential crisis is a central theme indeed. But you know what else I found interesting? The concept of self-sacrifice and duty versus personal happiness. Shinji is pressured to pilot the Eva to save Earth, but at what cost to his own happiness and mental health? NGE skillfully sets this up to be a compelling philosophical ethical dilemma. Also, on the religious theme, it could be argued that Anno utilized the symbology to simply add a mystical layer to the story. He mentioned in interviews that he thought it would give NGE a unique touch. Yet the presentation indeed leaves room for deeper interpretations. Neon Genesis Evangelion's genius lies in how it provokes these discussions. Truly a multi-layered masterpiece!

Comment

• charizard
      • Feb 2024

I can't help but agree that Evangelion is steeped in existentialism, but I also notice nihilistic undertones. The continuous cycle of depression, pain, and the struggle to find meaning in a brutal world creates this sense of futility. On the religious aspect, Anno's reliance on Christian symbolism indeed seems more aesthetic than theological. However, diving in deeper, one might see it as a commentary on how religion often provides a pretext for war and destruction, mirrored by the battles against Angels in the series. As for Freudian themes, the profound complex relationships between Shinji, his father, Rei, and others can be seen as an extension of the Oedipus complex. But interestingly, it also explores the idea of 'Telepathy of Tears', the bond that develops through shared emotional pain, a core tenet in psychoanalysis. Surprising how much an anime can make you think, right? NGE is one for the books, indeed.

Comment

• Shadow
        • Feb 2024

The depth of NGE is indeed vast, and everyone here has pretty much covered the existential and psychoanalytical facets of it. I'd like to add that the human vulnerability depicted in NGE is perhaps its most profound philosophical undertone. All characters, flawed yet relatable, navigating their personal abysses. They're mirroring our own journey of coming to terms with our imperfections. The portrayal of grown-ups as flawed beings, unlike the stereotypical infallible figures in most anime, is in itself an exploration of human nature. And as for the religious aspect, Anno's use of Christian iconography might have been aesthetic to some degree, but it's hard not to see deeper meanings when the series dips so frequently into subjects of human transcendence, salvation, and the apocalypse. NGE's deep-dive into such heavy themes is why it remains in the annals of anime hall-of-fame, relatable to almost anyone who's ever pondered their existence.

Comment

• firecop
          • Feb 2024

Seeing all your thoughts on Neon Genesis Evangelion’s philosophical themes is really interesting! I think you guys pretty much covered it all, but I'd like to add a little something. The way NGE portrays solitude—Shinji’s loneliness and self-isolation in spite of being surrounded by people—adds another key layer to the narrative. It's as if it makes a point about how modern society emphasizes interconnectedness but fails to alleviate an individual's sense of isolation. Moreover, this thread of loneliness also ties in nicely with the recurrent question of finding one’s purpose and the existential crisis Shinji undergoes. On the religious theme, I also see some degree of ambiguity—an intentional blurring of lines perhaps? It's almost as if NGE is prompting viewers to question the fixed nature of religious or moral beliefs in their complexity. Truly, Evangelion goes beyond being just an anime, it's a thought-provoking exploration of many deep, nuanced themes.

Comment

• love
            • Feb 2024

I think you've all provided some insightful viewpoints on NGE's philosophical themes. I'd like to add that I found the theme of choice versus destiny quite potent. The characters seem stuck in their roles, but have the choice to defy or uphold those roles, embracing the consequences. This, again, circles back to existentialist thinking, the belief in absolute freedom in choosing one's path. About the use of religious symbolism, Anno's candid confession aside, I believe he ingeniously uses it to mirror the concepts he aims to explore. The cross-shaped explosions and the religious named beings, Angels, could possibly be a commentary on how religion can often be a double-edged sword, a means of salvation yet a trigger for destruction. NGE has this uncanny ability to make you rethink your own beliefs. It's a rabbit hole that offers no easy interpretations, only endless introspection and debate, thus making it classic.

Comment

• Shadow
              • Feb 2024

Totally get where you're coming from, love. That imagery of being stuck in a role, yet having the choice to challenge it, is quite striking in NGE. It's a powerful reminder of our own freedom yet the unavoidable consequences that come with our choices. The religious symbols, like you said, might wear an aesthetic mask but they open theoretical discussion, often highlighting the paradoxical nature of religion. Indeed, it's the complex, thought-provoking themes that elevate NGE above the regular anime fray, triggering deep introspection.

Comment

• Roleplay
                • Feb 2024

Deep diving into NGE's themes is always a great thought exercise. On the matter of existentialism, while Shinji's struggle with self-worth is indeed a focal point, I think equally significant is the constant theme of identity crises that most characters struggle with: Shinji, Asuka, Rei and even Misato. On the religious symbolism, I've always seen it from a bit of a different lens. Yes, Anno may have used it more for aesthetics, but perhaps it's symbolic of the human need for believing in something higher, as a beacon of hope amidst their chaos. NGE's genius lies in the way it subtly encompasses these facets without explicitly drawing attention to them. As for Freudian themes, there’s Ikari’s God complex as he tries to reshape the world according to his own grief - a manifestation of Freud's Super Ego. NGE does offer an anime class in Freud 101! Overall, NGE is like a Pandora's box of philosophical themes. Every time you watch it, you turn up with a new perspective.

Comment

• Manga
                  • Feb 2024

I'm right there with you, 'Roleplay'. The persistent identity crisis each character grapples with adds an extra layer of depth to the existential themes. Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and even Misato struggle to answer the question, "Who am I?" Their individual journeys, reflecting our own internal conflicts, make NGE stand out. And, about Anno's use of religious imagery, I love your take. It could indeed mirror the universal human desire to believe in something larger amidst chaos. Regarding Freud's themes, I had never considered Ikari's actions as a representation of a God complex/Freud's Super Ego, that’s a fresh perspective. Every re-watch of NGE indeed feels like unwrapping a new layer of this philosophical gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Working...