What Makes a Memorable Anime Antagonist? Share your Opinions!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

What Makes a Memorable Anime Antagonist? Share your Opinions!

Just finished a marathon of various anime series and got me thinking. What really defines a memorable antagonist? In my opinion, it's not all about power. Rather, they should have legit motives, a knack for unpredictability, and an interesting backstory. A good example, Light Yagami from Death Note. Way more interesting than many, due to his intelligence and distorted sense of justice. What are your thoughts? Who are your top picks? Do you agree with the qualities I've set? Curious to hear your own standards!
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

I agree with the points you brought up. For me, antagonists like Johan Liebert from 'Monster' stand out, not because of power, but his psychological manipulation and cryptic existence. The level of mystery surrounding him made the show that much more gripping. I think a good antagonist also needs to create a sense of dread, making us question how the protagonist will ever overcome them.

Comment

• Shadow
      • Feb 2024

Personally, I lean towards antagonists with relatable motives. They shouldn't be evil for the sake of being evil. Take someone like Meruem from 'Hunter x Hunter'. Sure, he was powerful, but it was his moral growth and relationship with Komugi that drew me in. Antagonists that make you question your own morals and challenge your sense of right or wrong really stick with you, in my view.

Comment

Working...