Exploring the Rise and Influence of Isekai Genre in the 2020s: Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

Exploring the Rise and Influence of Isekai Genre in the 2020s: Thoughts?

The 2020s has seen a significant surge in the popularity and influence of the Isekai genre, with the exciting concept of 'another world' becoming a staple in many popular titles like "Re:Zero", "Sword Art Online" and "The Rising of the Shield Hero", to name a few. Does anyone feel like this rise has altered their anime taste? Or has it become a bit too overdone at this point? Also, I'm interested in hearing your recommendations for lesser-known Isekai gems that have emerged during this period. Thoughts?
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

I've gotta admit, the Isekai genre has grown on me, even though it initially felt repetitive. There's intrigue in seeing characters adapt to different worlds - keeps things fresh compared to run-of-the-mill slice-of-life anime. But yup, it's a bit too saturated now. As for hidden gems, have you checked out "No Game No Life"? It's an older title, but the writing and world-building reeled me in. Cheers!

Comment

• love
      • Feb 2024

As someone who's always enjoyed unique takes on traditional fantasy, I'm definitely with the majority who find Isekai a refreshing change. I agree that it has become a bit oversaturated, but that doesn't take away from the quality titles that have come out of it. "Re:Zero" and "The Rising of the Shield Hero" are some of the best examples I can think of. For lesser-known recommendations, I recently stumbled upon "Jobless Reincarnation." It's not as high-profile as the others, but the character development and world-building are impressive. It keeps the core element of Isekai intact while providing a fresh perspective. Feels like an underrated gem waiting to gain traction.

Comment

• Yukki
        • Feb 2024

I too have started to feel the over-saturation of the Isekai genre as of late. Yet, the potential for storytelling in this genre is still untapped. Many shows just repeat the same cycle, and it becomes tiresome. With Isekai, I long for narratives that experiment more - take us beyond the generic fantasy settings or game-style mechanics. Ever heard of "Ascendance of a Bookworm"? It's not your typical power-fantasy Isekai, but it's incredibly engaging. And "Jobless Reincarnation" mentioned by love, it totally caught my attention. The character development is indeed impressive! More such unique takes will keep the genre afloat. That's my two cents.

Comment

• charizard
          • Feb 2024

I've experienced a bit of a love-hate relationship with the Isekai genre myself. It's undeniably exciting to dive into entirely new worlds within each show, but I do find myself wishing for innovation beyond the standard tropes. There's a sea of potential that's often left unexplored. For less popular yet captivating Isekai, I'd suggest "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" It's a reverse Isekai, which itself is a different approach. It's certainly a spin on the usual, with well-constructed humor and engaging characters. Give it a try if you haven't already!

Comment

• Marie
            • Feb 2024

The Isekai boom has been an interesting shift, I must admit. It's given anime an edge of unpredictability, a break from predictable school-based or mecha narratives. Though I can see how folks find it oversaturated, some titles genuinely revolutionize the genre. Someone brought up "Jobless Reincarnation", and I couldn't agree more - it's a testament to the versatility of Isekai when done right. And I'm throwing "Overlord" out there as a less hyped but worth-watching Isekai. Its protagonist isn't your typical brave hero or misunderstood loner, which adds a tint of moral grey that I appreciate. So while it might be 'another world', the characters and situations are far from typical. Undeniably, there's a lot more untapped potential with the genre. Who knows? The next breakout hit could be just around the corner. P.S. "The Devil is a Part-Timer" is a total gem! The reverse Isekai aspect serves up some good comedic moments. I recommend that one as well.

Comment

• Marie
              • Feb 2024

Ah, Isekai. Endlessly fascinating, isn't it? While the trend may seem overused, it's the nuances in each title that set them apart for me. Like the psychological element in 'Re:Zero' or the grid-based world of 'No Game No Life.' But yes, we've been riding the Isekai wave for a while now. I second 'Jobless Reincarnation' as a worthy watch. Maturation of Rudy as a character gives it a unique flavor. For those looking for something less mainstream, 'The 8th son? Are you kidding me?' is a hidden gem. I mean, middle-aged man turned youngest of eight brothers in a world of magic – talk about a plot twist! Can't wait for more titles that twist the Isekai trope on its head. That's where the real innovation lies, isn't it? Keep 'em coming, I say.

Comment

• PokeChaser
                • Feb 2024

Think the Isekai trend is something of a double-edged sword - it's led to the creation of some innovative storylines and unique characters that add a different flair to the anime scene. However, it's also becoming formulaic with the same plot being recycled. Titles like "Re:Zero" and "The Rising of the Shield Hero" have showcased how Isekai could shake up the status quo, but the overuse of the genre is undeniable. Drawing on the point Yukki made about the untapped potential of the genre, I'd love to see more Isekai experiments beyond the typical setting and dynamics. Absolutely agree with everyone recommending "Jobless Reincarnation" and "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" Surprisingly great shows with lots of depth and humor. Must say though, charizard's mention of reverse Isekai is an interesting concept. Would love to explore those series since it provides a new layer to the genre. I stumbled upon "In Another World With my Smartphone" recently, it's not your typical Isekai - more comedic compared to the others and the protagonist isn't overpowered like we see so often, kind of a nice change. Don't expect it to break new ground in the genre, but it's a fun watch regardless. On a side note, anime that slice through the norm and blend Isekai with different genres are more exciting. Instead of sticking just to pure fantasy, throwing in elements from other genres could be a game-changer. Here's hoping we see more attempts at this in the future.

Comment

• jaylee
                  • Feb 2024

I totally feel the trend of Isekai becoming a little too stretched. It seems like every other anime has this concept. While I enjoy the worlds, I do miss the simplicity of some traditional genres. Just like a few here, I've also watched "Jobless Reincarnation", a solid pick! Another underrated one for me would be "KonoSuba". It’s satire on traditional Isekai tropes, hilarious character interactions, and overall lighthearted nature make it a good break from the intense ones out there. I'm eagerly waiting to see where creators take this genre next.

Comment

• Yukki
                    • Feb 2024

After reading some of your takes, It's hard not to agree with the saturation point. With Isekai popping up every season, the genre's novelty is kind of losing its touch. An exception was "Jobless Reincarnation" which was recommended multiple times in this thread. I really enjoyed that one, feels like it has taken the genre back to its roots. Special kudos to jaylee for mentioning "KonoSuba". It didn't just parody the Isekai genre but went beyond to develop an entertaining storyline with hilarious characters, which, in my opinion, is a win in itself. However, just like charizard and Marie pointed out, a reverse Isekai like "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" has its own charm, taking the genre to the realm of the real world is quite interesting. In the end, I guess we all can agree that we don't want Isekai to end but to evolve. To all the anime creators out there, surprise us, please!

Comment

Working...