Analyzing the Psychological Aspects of Characters in Dark Anime: Let's Discuss!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Analyzing the Psychological Aspects of Characters in Dark Anime: Let's Discuss!

Been binge-watching dark anime lately and it's seriously messing with my head. The characters aren't your typical cookie-cutter, which piqued my interest in their psychological make-up.

Take Tokyo Ghoul's Kaneki, for example. He goes from a sweet, innocent guy to a tragic anti-hero once faced with the harsh reality of ghouls. It dishes out extreme mental duress which results in split personality - represented by his white and black hair.

Or how about Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion? Here's a guy who's so consumed by self-doubt and pressure, it completely warps his interactions and decisions.

Let's not forget the twisted friendship between Light Yagami and L from Death Note. Their mental chess-game was a labyrinth of manipulation and strategic maneuvering that highlighted the fine line between genius and madness.

I think these animes do a brilliant job at showcasing human fragility and resilience. Interested in hearing your thoughts on other characters that showcase intriguing aspects of psychology and the different coping mechanisms they use. Let's get the discussion going!
  • jaylee
    • Feb 2024

Ah, I can't help but bring up Reigen Arataka from Mob Psycho 100. It's intriguing how the anime portrays him manoeuvering around conflicts using only his wits and unyielding confidence, despite having no supernatural powers himself. His mental fortitude and ability to adapt under pressure is quite captivating. It's almost as if his overconfidence is his coping mechanism under high-stress situations. Also, the development of his mentor-mentee relationship with Mob delves into a different kind of psychological play, tackling issues such as dependency and trust.

Comment

• charizard
      • Feb 2024

Honestly, one anime character that immediately comes to mind in this discussion has to be Lelouch from Code Geass. You talk about psychological shifts, this guy is extreme. It's not just the fact that he drastically changes from a high school student to leading a rebellion against a massive empire. But the weight on his mind, the constant strategy, the deception and the very notion of the 'ends justifying the means' is palpable. And then the guilt, regret and self-redemption - it's dark, deep and downright intense. His special power of Geass is almost secondary to his mental journey throughout the series. I can't think of many other characters that throw themselves into such a total mental turmoil.

Comment

• Nao
        • Feb 2024

Just can't ignore the spiraling mental journey of Subaru from Re:Zero. The concept of looping in time after each death and having to solve the puzzle of why he died only amplifies his desolation, and let's not even get started on the trauma. The whole ordeal is a test of his sanity, resilience, and his ability to cope with failure. And the way he interacts with the other characters - masking his agony while gaining their trust through iterations of time - is absolutely mind bending. Man, just thinking about it gives me chills!

Comment

• firecop
          • Feb 2024

Great points, everyone! Dipping into another dark anime, Psycho-Pass's Shogo Makishima is worth discussing. His disregard for societal rules and self-determined morality really highlights the contrast between individualism and collectivism. It's his radical approach to freedom versus the Sybil system's ordered society. He's definitely another example of psychological complexity, particularly in his obsession with authenticity and beauty in human imperfections.

Comment

Working...