Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Obscure Anime Recommendations: Hidden Gems In The Medium Worth Watching

Been delving deeper into anime recently and found a couple of lesser known series that definitely deserve more attention, so I thought I'd share and hopefully get your thoughts or more recommendations.

1. "Kyousougiga": Very unique storytelling and art style. A blend of science fiction and fantasy, might take an episode or two to get into, but it's worth it!

2. "Mushishi": This is more known among hardcore fans, but I feel it deserves more mainstream love. It's a beautifully told anthology series dealing with the supernatural.

3. "Binbou Shimai Monogatari": This one definitely falls under the slice of life category. It's touching, heartfelt and brings out intense emotions.

4. "Dennou Coil": This is a dynamic mix of sci-fi and mystery, set in a world where virtual reality is commonplace.

5. "Mononoke": Not to be confused with Princess Mononoke. This series is a collection of supernatural tales, with a very distinctive art style.

Feel free to share your thoughts or give more obscure recommendations!
  • firecop
    • Feb 2024

Great list you've got here. I'd toss 'Kemono no Souja Erin' into the mix. It's a fantastic hidden gem with an engaging plot revolving around a young girl and her journey. Packed with themes of politics, ethics and parenthood, it's definitely worth a shot. Regarding 'Mushishi', I wholeheartedly agree. A gem that truly shines when it's allowed to work its quiet magic. Every episode is like a small movie of its own. It's serene, melancholic and just beautiful.

Comment

• charizard
      • Feb 2024

Awesome list! "Kyousougiga" and "Mushishi" are definitely underrated treasures. If you're looking for another hidden gem, I'd recommend "Shinsekai Yori". The story unfolds brilliantly, with philosophical undertones that leave you pondering. Also, look into "Haibane Renmei". It has a very unique and ethereal quality to it that's totally captivating. And let's not forget "Kaiji". It's quite intense and a roller-coaster ride of emotions. Happy watching!

Comment

• love
        • Feb 2024

Absolutely appreciate all the suggestions here, and I'm thrilled to see 'Kemono no Souja Erin', 'Shinsekai Yori', 'Haibane Renmei' and 'Kaiji' brought up. They've been on my watchlist for a while, so it seems like now's a perfect time to dive into them. For those into psychedelic visuals and philosophical meanderings, 'Serial Experiments Lain' might be up your alley. The narrative can be complex, but that's part of the allure. Another one I'd throw in is 'Mawaru Penguindrum'. It's got an air of mystique around it and a plot that unfolds in unexpected ways, plus the mishmash of genres keeps it interesting. And yes, 'Mushishi' deserves all the love. It's like diving into a serene, otherworldly pond. Pure magic. Keep those recommendations coming!

Comment

Working...