Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

The Art of Foreshadowing in Anime: What Hidden Clues You Might Have Missed

Foreshadowing is a powerful storytelling tool used extensively in anime, often throwing subtle hints and clues leading to a future plot event. It's brilliant how some of these clues go unnoticed until a big reveal.

Take 'Attack on Titan' for instance. Remember when Eren had that 'dream'? It was more of a premonition of future events - an early sign of the grim world that awaited them. Or in 'Steins;Gate', Okabe's first encounter with Kurisu, who was seemingly fine while Okabe insisted on her death. This was a perfect mix of suspense and foreshadowing.

In 'Death Note', the apples eaten by Ryuk subtly hinted at the knowledge (apple symbolizes knowledge in Christianity) Light gained from the Death Note, leading him to a destructive path. Even 'Naruto' gave us tiny glimpses hinting at Tobi's true identity in his initial appearances.

One of my all-time favorites though, is 'One Piece', for its masterful use of foreshadowing. Portgas D. Ace's tattoo with a misspelled 'ASCE' had the crossed out 'S' symbolizing Sabo's supposed death.

These hidden clues not only add depth to the story but makes rewatching anime a rewarding experience. This is why I love tracking down these instances of foreshadowing in different shows, and I'd love to know if you guys have any interesting ones you've come across!
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Really enjoyed your analysis of foreshadowing! Especially the example from 'Attack on Titan'. It definitely slipped my radar the first watch-through and only clicked when I revisited the series. But let's not forget about 'Code Geass': where Lelouch's famed chess moves subtlety represent his tactical superiority in real battles. Another awesome foreshadowing is in 'Tokyo Ghoul': Kaneki’s transformation into a half-ghoul was hinted at by his unique craving for coffee - something only ghouls can enjoy alongside human food. It's incredible how these details can completely go over our heads the first time around, isn't it?

Comment

• firecop
      • Feb 2024

Oh man, you guys are right on the money with these examples! Talking about Tokyo Ghoul, Kaneki's white hair after his transformation was arguably the most iconic visual foreshadowing. Like, it was a clear sign that he'd gone through a traumatic change. Also, anybody remember Hunter x Hunter? Togashi is a master of foreshadowing too. Gon's endless determination and simplistic mindset when he first met Killua - it was perfectly staged for him to learn humanity isn't as black and white as he initially thought. Man, now I feel like rewatching all these classics just to spot these details. Anime truly is brilliant in connecting the dots and making our jaws drop, eh?

Comment

• love
        • Feb 2024

You guys brought up some great instances of foreshadowing in anime! I have another to add to the collection: 'Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood'. Has anyone ever noticed how Al's quintessential question to everyone he meets "Do you believe in the concept of equivalent exchange?" foreshadows the events that unfold in this rollercoaster of a series? It cleverly crops up as a motif throughout. Plus, it's significance deepens as the brothers learn the harsh reality of alchemy's "equal exchange". These little easter eggs really do reward us on a rewatch, huh?

Comment

Working...