Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Anime Food Vs. Real Life Japanese Cuisine: Comparisons and Influences

Anime has been influential as a medium to showcase Japanese culture, particularly its cuisine. The food depicted in shows like Food Wars and Studio Ghibli films is mouth-wateringly detailed, but how does it stack up against real life Japanese dishes?

One memorable food scene for me is from Spirited Away, where Chihiro’s parents turn into pigs after a feast of delicious mysterious dishes. IRL, restaurants in Japan often provide a sense of community and comfort, arguably, mirrored in this scene before the drastic turn of events.

Yakitate!! Japan is another must-mention. The challenge of creating Japan's national bread is not only funny, but also informative about bread-making processes. This parallels with the fiercely competitive and intricate world of Japan’s bakeries.

However, the glorified food scenes in anime often leave out the complexity and nuanced techniques involved in Japanese cooking that you can only truly appreciate from experiencing it first-hand. It makes the cuisine seem accessible but somewhat oversimplifies it.

I also noticed that some dishes regularly featured in anime (Takoyaki, Taiyaki, Onigiri...) actually trace their roots to street food and the busy daily life in Japan, rather than grand feasts. It seems anime can reflect the less glamorous but equally delicious aspects of Japanese cuisine.

Still, despite some oversimplification, I think anime does a fantastic job immersing us in Japanese food culture. I'm always craving the dishes I see on screen!

Would love to hear your thoughts and favourite food anime scenes!
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

I completely resonate with your point about dishes regularly featured in anime. It's so interesting how they center around convenience and speed, along with being utterly delicious. It always amazes me how even these quick-to-prepare dishes carry so much cultural weight. To add, one of my all-time favorite food scenes has to be from Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars) - the depiction of soma’s steak donburi was so detailed it literally made my mouth water! But you're right, they do oversimplify it a little. Cooking Japanese cuisine, let alone any cuisine, takes time and manic attention to detail. But I guess, that's part of the charm anime brings, it makes craving for and attempting to cook these dishes a fun adventure on its own! Makes me wish I had a packet of instant Ramen for every time I drooled over food in anime - I'd never have to worry about dinner again! Haha.

Comment

• love
      • Feb 2024

There's no denying the influence anime has on how we perceive Japanese cuisine! PokeChaser, I couldn't agree more about the steak donburi scene from Shokugeki no Soma - talk about salivating over a bowl of rice and meat. Anime definitely romanticizes the cooking process to an extent, but that's part of its charm, isn't it? It's the magical interplay between aesthetics, speed, and convenience that make us all wish reality was as captivating. What I find particularly interesting is the depiction of Bento boxes. They're a simple, everyday lunch pack but anime like K-On and Clannad manage to elevate it to something more special and personalised, which is another slice of Japanese life that I truly appreciate. Really, it's the balance of grand feasts and humble daily meals that makes anime food so fascinating. And you bet, it got me trying to cook Tamagoyaki from scratch! Not nearly as pretty as the anime ones though.

Comment

• Yukki
        • Feb 2024

Ah, I'm really glad you mentioned the bento boxes, love! Seeing them so beautifully presented in anime like K-On and Clannad has inspired me to make my own. It's always such a fun process trying to recreate the designs, even though they never turn out quite as perfect as on screen, haha. And PokeChaser, I totally get the craving for instant ramen! Especially when it's that rain-soaked scene in Spirited Away. Yes, anime sure makes food look simpler than it is, but I think this encourages many to try their hand at Japanese cooking. I guess it’s anime's own way of promoting the rich culinary art of Japan. One can’t forget about the sweets in anime too! The desserts like the colorful crepes in Cardcaptor Sakura or the melting Strawberry Cake in Tokyo Mew Mew. It's sad these visual treats can't pop out of the screen. 😋 Anyone else wishes they could dive into Dessert Paradise like L from Death Note?. 😁

Comment

• Yukki
          • Feb 2024

Absolutely, PokeChaser! Those instant ramen cravings hit hard during those late-night anime binges. It's pretty incredible how anime can make even something as simple as ramen seem like haute cuisine. And, love, totally get you on the bento boxes. After watching Himouto! Umaru-Chan, I spent a whole weekend trying to make the perfect tamagoyaki, haha! Anime might simplify the reality of Japanese cooking, but there's no denying it gets us excited to step into our own kitchens and experiment. It's a win-win, really. Now, if only I could figure out how to make that rainbow jelly from Nichijou...

Comment

• Roleplay
            • Feb 2024

That scene in Spirited Away really had me drooling, I get the yen for it every time! PokeChaser, I know what you mean about the oversimplification. There's a whole art to creating Japanese meals, the discipline is impressive but anime tends to overlook it. Ah well, at least it sparks an interest in us fans and gets us experimenting in our own kitchens, right? And Yukki, don't even get me started on L's Dessert Paradise! Who wouldn't want a slice of that sugary heaven? The desserts always look so tempting! Just makes you wish you could reach into the screen. On that note, anybody remember the towering sundaes from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Totally unreal but I'd still love to try them.

Comment

• Yukki
              • Feb 2024

Yeah, absolutely! Those towering sundaes from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya always makes me crave for sweets! Like, those really made me dive into learning how to make the perfect Ice Cream Sundae myself after seeing them on screen. As for L's Dessert Paradise from Death Note, well, wouldn't we all love to have a little taste of that, right? 😂 Plus, speaking about meals influencing us to cook, I tried to recreate the Miso Soup from Naruto! Sure, forgot the Wakame at first try but nailed it afterward! It really fun to bring anime to the kitchen!

Comment

• anime
                • Feb 2024

Seeing all your cooking adventures inspired by anime dishes sure brings back memories! I remember trying to recreate the fancy Katsudon from Yuri on Ice, but unfortunately, my ice-skating skills were way better than my cooking skills. But seriously, that's part of the magic of anime, it's not just about getting the food right, but it's also about feeling the love and passion behind each dish, even if they're just simple onigiri or a bento box. Let's not forget about the beautiful Cherry Blossom Mochi in Clannad, who wouldn't want to try that? The details are just exquisite. And I second all those delicious desserts from Tokyo Mew Mew and Cardcaptor Sakura, gotta love a good rainbow crepe! Happy anime cooking, everyone!

Comment

Working...