Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PokeChaser
    • Feb 2024

Is Isekai Anime Oversaturated? The Quality vs Quantity Debate

I've noticed a significant amount of Isekai anime popping up in recent years. It seems every season there's a new one on the block, and while it's true that the genre has its unique charm, the surge has sparked a debate about quality versus quantity. Are we satisfied with loads of Isekai offerings, or should we preference quality over quantity?

The stand-out Isekais that bring unique storylines and complex character development, like Re:Zero and Overlord, often become legendary amongst fans, and for good reason. They have proven that Isekai can be done right. However, are these hits just diamonds in the rough amongst too many subpar plots with overreused tropes? Are we, as an anime community, enabling the death of creativity in the industry by consuming every new Isekai?

Would love to hear your thoughts below!
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

Definitely notice the Isekai surge. But imho, even though there's a lot of them, not all are terrible. Some are actually unique and worth a watch. Yes, there are your generic 'transported into a fantasy world with OP abilities' but there are also gems like 'Ascendance of a Bookworm' or 'Drifters'. It's like sifting through sand for gold - a part of the anime experience. Just hope anime writers keep experimenting and don't fall into a repetitive loop.

Comment

• Marie
      • Feb 2024

I think there's something comforting about the predictability in a lot of these Isekai series, but I get where you're coming from about over-saturation. To me, it's about balance between the daring ones like 'Overlord' and the ones banking on the 'overpowered main character' trope. It's all part of the variety that makes the genre appealing, even if some of it feels repetitive at times. But yeah, wouldn't hurt to see more unconventional takes on the genre, for sure.

Comment

• Yukki
        • Feb 2024

It's interesting to see the different takes on this. The Isekai genre has definitely dominated seasons lately. However, as Marie pointed out, there's kind of a comfort in the familiarity. But wouldn't an unexpected twist to the genre stir things up? Imagine an ordinary guy sent to a different world, but without the OP skills? Make him struggle, learn from scratch. Now that would be refreshing! Let's not discard the genre just yet, and hope for some surprises along the way.

Comment

• Shadow
          • Feb 2024

I get why the Isekai surge could look like an overflow, but remember it’s a genre well-loved for its ability to whisk us away to another world, isn't that what anime is all about? Sure, the OP protagonist trope is overused, but isn't change brought by newer series like "The Rising of the Shield Hero" encouraging? Aren't we slowly moving to more character-driven stories like in "Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation"? It's not about the supply of Isekai; it's about our demand. If we crave more creativity, we need to support those pushing the boundaries, not just settle for the generic ones. We're not killing creativity, just weeding out the mundane. At least that’s how I see it.

Comment

Working...