Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

The Evolution of Shonen Protagonists: From Dragon Ball to My Hero Academia

Shonen series have definitely evolved over the years! The "transition" from Dragon Ball's Goku to My Hero Academia's Deku is evident, and has significantly transformed the genre. Goku is portrayed as naturally talented, a martial arts genius, and although faced with daunting odds, his power-ups are often due to his Saiyan heritage.

Contrast that to Deku, a kid born without powers in a superhuman society, who inherits his abilities and needs rigorous training and advice to master them. Despite his incredible power, it's Deku's character and struggles that make him compelling. It's not just about how strong the protagonist is anymore but also about their mental and emotional growth. The "never-give-up" attitude is still there, but having a relatable hero who needs to work hard to overcome his shortcomings has risen in significance.

The exploration of moral dilemmas, the protagonist's internal turmoil and their interaction with their world are all becoming essential to a Shonen protagonist. It's quite the evolution, shifting towards a more complex, rounded main character. Discuss, what do you think of this change? Any other series supporting this transformation?
  • Yukki
    • Feb 2024

I feel the transition has given us an opportunity to connect with protagonists on a whole new level. I mean, Goku was awesome and I loved every bit of his Saiyan mode but Deku's journey is somehow more relatable. He's really dealing with stuff, falling, learning and growing from it which gives a whole new dimension to his character. And it's not just MHA, take Naruto for example. He was an outcast who had to work incredibly hard to gain respect. All these moral dilemmas and internal struggles really make for a more captivating story, don't you think?

Comment

Working...