Dissecting the Role of Philosophy in Attack on Titan: A Nietzschean Perspective?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Dissecting the Role of Philosophy in Attack on Titan: A Nietzschean Perspective?

Just did a rewatch of AoT and it struck me how deeply philosophical the nature of its plot, themes, and character development are. If you dig deeper, you find a lot of parallels with Nietzsche's philosophy.

Eren Yeager's transformation from a powerless kid to the embodiment of the Will to Power, royals playing god being a critique of master morality, and the futile, repetitive warfare representing the eternal recurrence. Even the tragic roles of Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie resonate with Nietzsche's thoughts on guilt and bad conscience.

One might argue that I'm reading into it too much, but wouldn't you agree that these concepts highlight Nietzsche's influence, whether Isayama intended it or not? It's interesting to see how well his philosophy molds with the world of Attack on Titan and reflects our own struggles with power, morality, and life's purpose. Thoughts? Would love to hear your perspectives on this.
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

I also noticed the Nietzschean undertones, particularly Eren's journey. You could argue he's not just the Will to Power but also the embodiment of the Ubermensch, rising above traditional morality and becoming something more. Yet, the question remains, does he truly transcend or is he just loosing his humanity? Interesting parallels indeed.

Comment

Working...