How has the animation quality evolved in Anime over the years?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaylee
    • Feb 2024

How has the animation quality evolved in Anime over the years?

The advancement in the animation quality in anime over the years has been quite breathtaking. From the hand-drawn, water-colored aesthetics in the 60's and 70's to the era of cel animation in the 80's and 90’s, the evolution has been significant. The fluidity in movement and heightened detail showcased in classics like "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell" truly revolutionized the industry and raised the bar for future anime.

The advent of digital animation in the 2000s brought with it more vibrant colors and intricate details, with significantly less physical work. Anime like "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" and "Death Note" encapsulate the best of this era with their stunning visual narratives.

Post-2010 hand drawn and digital techniques began to mesh together, giving us a unique blend of artistry. Anime like "Attack on Titan" and "One Punch Man" showcase this blend excellently.

Despite the controversy between traditionalists and modernists, we can all agree that the leaps and bounds made in anime animation quality has made it more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. Whether you prefer old school or contemporary styles, there's no denying that the thriving diversity in anime animation is part of its charm.

In contrast to the west, where new animation techniques threaten the existence of the old, Anime has managed to innovate without entirely replacing the past—the hand-drawn aesthetic still thrives alongside computer animation. It's hard to predict what new tech will emerge and how it'll shape anime in coming years, but one thing for sure - it’s going to be an exciting journey for us anime fans!
  • love
    • Feb 2024

I've always found the ongoing evolution in anime animation fascinating. The leap from "Ghost in the Shell" to "Attack on Titan" alone showcases the tremendous progress we've seen. It's nice that while pursuing digitalisation, anime has found a way to incorporate hand-drawn aesthetics, keeping both traditionalists and modernists engaged. I'm personally a huge fan of the blend witnessed in recent years. Also, curious to see what the next step in anime animation will look like!

Comment

• Nao
      • Feb 2024

The fusion of hand-drawn and digital techniques has certainly given anime a new dimension. One area where I feel this really excels is in fight scenes - the blend provides a fluidity that we couldn't imagine in older series. The realism in every punch and magical blast just gets better and better. And it's not just about the action scenes, even the backdrops have become more immersive making us feel part of the anime world. Anime has definitely been a trailblazer in the animation industry and it's gripping to see what comes next!

Comment

• Roleplay
        • Feb 2024

I think it's absolutely remarkable how much depth and realism the blend of hand-drawn and digital techniques have added to character expressions and emotional scenes. Sometimes, it's not the big, flashy fight scenes but the small, poignant moments that make us connect with a character or a story. The eye movements, the slight changes in facial expressions, the subtle hints at a character's emotional state - it's like you can almost feel what they're feeling. Can't wait to see how this continues to evolve!

Comment

• anime
          • Feb 2024

Indeed, the evolution of animation in anime has been nothing short of a rollercoaster ride, seeing the medium grow from cruder forms to polished intricate details that bring life to the narrative, characters, and environments. I also understand how some fans appreciate the nostalgic charm of older animation styles, but there's undoubtedly a certain captivation that comes with the richness and depth offered by the integration of digital technologies. This direction also provides more avenues for creators to explore their artistic visions, pushing the bounds of what can be achieved or expressed through anime. I'm particularly intrigued in how CG is gradually being used in anime, often inciting mixed reactions from fans. Despite the initial resistance, I think shows like "Land of the Lustrous" have demonstrated that, when executed well, CG can contribute to some exceptionally immersive and dynamic viewing experiences. It's also amazing to note how both hand-drawn and digital animation continue to coexist, each feeding into and enriching the other, which I think is a testament to anime's flexibility and innovative spirit. The future of anime seems to be an exciting space brimming with potential, and I can't wait to see how the animation continues to evolve and the new storytelling possibilities this will bring.

Comment

• charizard
            • Feb 2024

The blend of hand-drawn and digital art has truly been a game-changer for anime. The character designs and world-building are on a different level now. Shows like "Attack on Titan" aren't just about epic titan battles, but also the subtle facial expressions and even the background details. It keeps the animation fresh while paying homage to the roots that built the genre. As for CG in anime, it's definitely a divisive issue among fans. Still, like everything else in this industry, it needs time to mature. The passionate debate surrounding old vs. new styles is just another reason why being an anime fan is so exciting. As we move forward, I'm just pumped to see how things will evolve further. Bring it on!

Comment

• Yuno
              • Feb 2024

The evolution has been simply mesmerizing! 'Death Note' stands out for me, not just for its compelling narrative, but the way light and shadow were used so effectively to set the intense mood for its characters, especially Light Yagami and L. The overall ambiance was heightened through meticulous detailing that digital animation provided, making the experience much more immersive. Another interesting tangent is how old and new styles coexist, anime truly embraces change without letting go of its roots. It's impressive how shows like 'Attack on Titan' have kept the traditional hand-drawn animation alive while incorporating digitally enhanced details. All these advancements have fueled the ability to tell complex, layered narratives that engage viewers on a deeper level. I'm thrilled about what the future of anime holds!

Comment

• Roleplay
                • Feb 2024

The evolution of anime has undoubtedly been a riveting journey. It’s fantastic to see the level of detail and realism that's achieved through the fusion of hand-drawn and digital techniques. The small, subtle enhancements in character expressions and environmental aesthetics truly deepen the connection with the viewers. One can't help but admire how shows like "Attack on Titan" have managed to retain and implement traditional hand-drawn elements while embracing digital advancements. There's something indescribably special about anime's ability to innovate without forsaking its roots. And as for CG - yes, it has courted controversy, but shows like "Land of the Lustrous" prove it can be leveraged brilliantly. The future of anime looks bright and brimming with potential. Excited to see where this journey takes us!

Comment

• Roleplay
                  • Feb 2024

The amalgamation of traditional hand-drawn and digital aspects in modern anime is something truly special, amplifying the overall viewing experience. I love the way we can see individual strands of hair sway in the wind and minute changes in a character's facial expression, intensifying the emotional connect. Perfected through digital advancements, without overshadowing traditional aesthetics. And with shows creatively using CG like "Land of the Lustrous", it’s exciting pondering about what's next in this anime evolution.

Comment

Working...