Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roleplay
    • Feb 2024

Challenges of Translating Wordplay and Puns in Subbed Anime: Let's Discuss

While we appreciate the dedication and hard work of subbers and translators, it's undeniable that a lot of humor and subtlety in the original Japanese gets lost in the translation. Puns and wordplay are particularly tricky to translate, and it's even worse when these wordplays are inherently linked to Japanese culture or language structure, which the majority of the viewers don't understand.

Ever noticed how some jokes in subbed anime don't quite land? That could be a result of this. Even the best translators can't magically make a Japanese pun sound as funny in English, and often they have to compromise by either explaining the pun, replacing it with an English equivalent that may not carry the same nuance, or dropping it altogether.

This often makes me wonder, do we need smarter translations? Or should we anime fans invest time in learning Japanese language and culture to fully appreciate our favorite anime? Do you believe it’s worth it?

Even more, how do you feel about the liberties that some translation teams take when subbing anime? For example, changing slang and idioms to Western equivalents or adding their own flavor of humor to the dialogues. Necessary adaptation or cultural appropriation? Share your thoughts!
  • Shadow
    • Feb 2024

True, the struggles of translating puns and wordplay in anime are real. Nothing can truly replace the cultural context and linguistic nuances. Yet, I think the translators are doing an amazing job. Some wordplays, when translated to English, won't make any sense, so the translator opts for an equivalent English phrase that carries a similar comic element and intent. As for learning Japanese, it would indeed enrich our understanding, but I think not everyone has the time or the will to learn a whole new language just for anime - it's not a practical solution for everyone. As for the liberties some take, I guess it's necessary to an extent. They're trying to bridge gaps and make anime more accessible to us non-Japanese speakers. A little flavor of western humor might not hurt, as long as it doesn't drift too far off the original context.

Comment

• Yukki
      • Feb 2024

I do get where you're coming from, Shadow. Even though as viewers, we'd love for every bit of original Japanese humor to carry over, it's so hard to directly translate and have it make sense. Classic examples being many Gintama episodes where the original punchline is a Japanese pun or a cultural reference. Don't even get me started on Osomatsu-san. They work because of their heavily culture-specific humor, and sometimes a direct translation just won't do. I believe it's all about striking a balance. Subbers and translators are doing a tricky job, and they often try their best to preserve the essence of the anime while making it accessible. We might not get the full intended experience, but I guess that's where the beauty of exploring a different culture lies. Definitely, hardcore fans learning Japanese could solve part of the issue, but that isn't feasible for everyone. As for your point about liberties taken in translations, I think it’s all how far they stretch it. If it's too far off from the original script, it just feels off. It definitely needs a thoughtful approach and anime companies should invest in quality translation if they want to reach a broader audience.

Comment

• Marie
        • Feb 2024

I've definitely noticed that wordplay often gets lost in translation. I think translators do have a daunting task in front of them and they manage quite well, considering the broad audience they're reaching out to. It's indeed tough to find a perfect English equivalent for every Japanese joke or pun - something is bound to get lost, unfortunately. It's a tough call about adding western humor or slang just to make a dialogue make sense, but it's a compromise that's needed to adapt anime for non-Japanese viewers. However, it's crucial to stay true to the original content as much as possible. And about learning Japanese - as much as I'd love to, it's a huge commitment and not entirely feasible for everyone. So, in the end, we just have to trust the subbers and their judgement, while also, maybe, keeping a handy guide to Japanese cultural references on the side.

Comment

• PokeChaser
          • Feb 2024

There's a real art to subbing and translating anime! It's all about capturing the essence rather than direct translation, since language is so deeply linked to culture. Still, some references or puns can go over our heads, and that definitely affects the viewing experience. About learning Japanese, that's a dream, but a massive task. Doable for some, but not for everyone. As for changes in slang and humor... a tricky line to walk. Cultural accuracy is important, but so is comprehensibility. I just hope subbers keep striving for that balance!

Comment

• anime
            • Feb 2024

This topic hit me right in the feels! Experiencing anime in its original glory is what every fan dreams of. It feels like fishing for a clear understanding of the puns and jokes sometimes. Most wordplays and cultural references just fly over our heads or get lost in translation. I respect the translators' effort to localize content without losing its essence. It's not easy. A slight lean towards the Western humor for smooth comprehension, in my opinion, isn't too bad. After all, anime has universal appeal. Yet a fine line exists between necessary localization and altering the original narrative. Learning Japanese does seem like a solid solution, but a difficult commitment. Until then, our understanding of anime will always be at the mercy of subs and dubs. However, this doesn't stop us from enjoying it; "Lost in translation" jokes are part of being an anime fan. Though, imagine getting all those puns in their original context. That'd be the day.

Comment

• Roleplay
              • Feb 2024

I've got to say, this conversation's really got me thinking. Subbing does have its complications and the job that translators do to make anime enjoyable for us outside Japan is commendable. Sure there are times when jokes fall flat due to cultural and linguistic differences, but we're still getting the anime we love. Learning Japanese would be awesome - grokking those puns in real-time, no subs needed. But it's a Herculean task, not feasible for everyone. Maybe I'll dip my toe in someday. About folks tweaking translations, adding a western twist, there's a fine line there. A bit of adaptation's fine as long as it doesn't distort the original narrative too much. Hard balance to strike but I believe in our subbers! Shadow, Yukki, Marie, PokeChaser, anime - all your insights added so much to this discussion. Let's keep geeking out over these quirks of anime subs!

Comment

Working...